It’s not just your feet that require to be cared for during the monsoon season, but also your footwear. The onset of rains makes one worried about their footwear and rightfully so. In addition to the usual muck and gore, footwear is exposed to moisture and dirty puddles during the rainy season which spells doom for them.
Here are a few quick and easy measures to help your footwear survive the onslaught of rains and everything it brings with it and keep them in top condition.
- Wipe clumps of mud off- During the rains, muck has the tendency to stick to footwear. When the mud dries it can form clumps on the shoes or sandals that you were wearing. Wipe with a wet cloth or brush the clumps away with a foot brush to get rid of the wet mud almost instantly.
- Invest in good quality wax polish- Wax polish is not only known to make your shoes shine and give them a neat look, but the wax layer you apply on your shoes creates a thin protective shield which provides light resistance to rainwater and keeps your footwear in top condition.
- Tissue paper to your rescue- Before placing your wet shoes in the cupboard, ensure that they are completely dry. You can place tissue paper in the insides of your footwear so that the moisture is absorbed. You can also dry the shoes in the heat of the sun or under a ceiling fan. Another option is to stuff newspaper to retain the shape and prevent your shoes from bending and creasing.
- Place a dehumidifier in the shoe cupboard- The dehumidifier will absorb humidity and the footwear will not be exposed to fungus. Go a step further and wrap the footwear in a cloth cover before you place it in the cupboard.
- Try to avoid leather footwear- Talk to any footwear designer and he will tell you that leather footwear needs the most amount of care during rains. It is therefore best to avoid leather in monsoons altogether. But if you have to wear them for a formal occasion, clean and waterproof your leather shoes with a wax polish before putting them on.
In addition to the above tips, always wear clean socks and try sticking to rubber footwear for the duration of the monsoon season. Keep the above tips in mind and don’t let worry for your footwear hamper your spirits this rainy season.